Vegan Cherry Pop Tarts and Merry Christmas!
If you have a little spare time on your hands (ha – I wish!), why not whip up a batch of these cherry pop tarts? Don’t be fooled, though. These aren’t like the pop tarts you find in stores – but trust me, that’s a good thing. The pastry has a wonderful flavour and is the right level of crumbly. They’re also totally customizable to your taste – you can use any filling you like.
- 1/4 C all purpose flour
- 1/4 C whole wheat flour
- 1.5 T sunflower (or any vegetable) oil
- 1.5 T soymilk mixed with 1/4 t fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 t baking powder
- 1/2 T water
- Pinch salt
- Big pinch raw sugar
- Black cherry jam (or any other filling that you like)
I adapted the pastry from this recipe.
- In a bowl, mix together the flours, salt, sugar and baking powder. In a small cup whisk together the lemon-soy mixture with the oil and pour this into the flour mixture.
- Mix gently with a fork (and, if necessary, with your hands) until it comes together into a ball. If the dough is too dry, add the water (extra if needed, but very little).
- Roll dough into a ball and chill for an hour.
- Preheat oven to 350F/180C.
- Roll the chilled though to your desired thickness (I would recommend rolling it quite thin). Cut out rectangles to form your pop tarts.
- Spread a little jam onto one of the rectangles, leaving a bit of space around the edges. Do not over fill them as the pop tarts will leak during baking if you do! Place another same-sized rectangle of pastry on top and crimp the edges well with a fork.
- Bake on cookie sheets lined with parchment/baking paper for 12-15 minutes or until golden.
- Cool on the trays. Makes 1 large or 3 mini pop tarts.
Cue a cheesy Christmas song to play while you bake!
…to pop tarts! I wonder what flavour I should try next – I’m thinking nutella pop tarts?!
And I’m sure that you’ll find something to do with any leftover pastry 😉
Have very merry, safe and happy Christmas!