Homemade Blueberry Yogurt
Don’t tell, but I used to be a bit of a lo-cal yogurt junkie. Seriously, I used to thrive on that watery and artificially sweetened stuff. But things changed, this time for the better. I began to take my yogurt in natural and organic form, but that doesn’t exactly come cheap and isn’t always vegan friendly.
So why not make your own yoghurt? It’s cheap and you can choose whatever type of milk and flavourings you’d like!
I remember doing this for the first time and thinking ‘no way is this going to turn into yogurt’, but it does. And the results… You’ll have to see for yourself 😉
Adapted from Oh She Glows
- 1/2 C soy (or any other type of) milk
- 1/2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1 T sugar (adjust to taste)
- 1/2 T cornstarch or cornflour
- 1/4 T vanilla
- 1/2 C fresh blueberries (play around with this – you can use other types of fruit, or maybe chocolate chips!)
- Mix the soy milk and lemon juice and allow to curdle.
- Add the sugar and cornstarch and mix vigorously with a fork to ensure it’s smooth.
- Microwave on high for 1 minute* then stir very well.
- Repeat step 3.
- Add the vanilla and blueberries then microwave for 1 minute on high and give the yogurt one last stir before putting it into the fridge to chill.**
*Adjust times according to your microwave’s wattage. Mine is 800 watts.
**The yogurt is actually ready at this point, but unless you want your yogurt hot I would chill it!
…to fresh blueberry yogurt.