Homemade Vegan Nutella
I walked into my kitchen today with no idea what I was going to make or how I was going to make it. I walked out with homemade vegan nutella. Sometimes you just get lucky, you know?
I had (and still have) a massive bag of hazelnut meal that I need to use up, and was inspired to make a veganized Nutella to replace an ingredient in an upcoming recipe 🙂 any guesses what it might be?
I’d like to warn you, though that if you make this it won’t be quite like the commercial Nutella – it’s more like a sweet and chocolaty hazelnut butter, but you’ll know that it’s free of palm oil and refined sugars.
Best of all, this was so super easy to make! There are only five ingredients, most of which you probably have in your pantry right now.
- 1/4 C hazelnut meal
- 1 T cocoa powder
- pinch salt
- 2.5 T maple syrup
- 3 drops (or about an 1/8 t) vanilla
- 1 T sunflower oil* (I’m sure other light-tasting oils would work here, particularly canola and coconut oil. It would be really good if you have hazelnut oil on hand, too!)
*Note: You could increase the oil to 2-3 tablespoons if you wanted a runnier spread. Mine turned out quite thick.
- Toast hazelnut meal (I used a toaster oven at 300F/150C, but I’m sure a normal oven would work too) for about 2-3 minutes, or until a little of the meal is lightly browned.
- Place meal in a food processor/VitaMix and blend for 20 seconds.
- Sift in the cocoa powder and add the salt, then blend until combined.
- Add the maple syrup and vanilla and blend until well combined.
- Add the oil and blend until a ball of nutella forms (if you’ve made nut butters before, this is like the ‘ball’ stage). Continue to blend until the ball turns into a smooth paste.
- Adjust maple syrup/cocoa/oil if necessary. Enjoy! Makes about a 1/3 cup of nutella. To store, place in the fridge in an airtight container.
Start off by toasting your hazelnut meal. Don’t forget to watch it, because it can go from barely toasted to burnt in a blink of an eye!
Process the hazelnut meal, then add a pinch of salt and sift in your cocoa.
Blend! Add in your maple syrup and vanilla, blend again, then drizzle in the oil. When you blend now, the process is similar to making another nut butter – the butter forms into a ball in your processor/VitaMix, but keep blending and it should smooth out like this:
Then it’s up to you how you’d like to enjoy your luscious, vegan nutella 🙂