Vanilla Cherry Rice Pudding
Hi everyone! I’ve got some good news and some bad.
First, the bad: my motor part of my hand blender died, which means that in turn I no longer have a food processor and beater either! I was quite disappointed since I’ve only had it for one year and it gave no signs of giving up – it just stopped in the middle of blending, leaving me with shock and a chunky half-juice.
Since it’s something I use so often, I quickly began looking for a blender that was built for heavy-duty processing (frozen stuff, nuts, ice, etc). If anyone has any recommendations, please leave a comment! I’m looking at the Cuisinart Smartpower Duet, but I’m not too keen on the glass jug.
Until then, no more smoothies or hummus for this girl 😦 Until recently, I’ve had a green smoothie for breakfast everyday for pretty much 6 months, so I’ve been seeking alternatives for breakfast and took some inspiration from one of Ashley’s latest creations.
And so the good news was born…
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
- 1/2 cup soy milk
- 1 tbsp raw sugar
- 1 tbsp raisins
- 7 cherries, pitted and halved
- 7 almonds, roughly chopped
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan and stir to combine.
- Heat on a stove on medium-high heat. Bring to a gentle boil, stirring frequently.
- Allow to boil for about 5 minutes or until pudding has reached a thick and creamy consistency (you want to ‘reduce’ the mixture). Stir frequently. Makes about 3/4 cup of rice pudding. If you want a larger breakfast, I’d recommend making 1.5 or 2 times the recipe.
Unlike other rice puddings which require an hour simmering away on the stove, you’re using leftover/pre-cooked rice which means this is done in 5 to 10 minutes – but really, that’s just the cherry on top 😉
You just throw everything into a saucepan…
…and becomes the most heavenly bowl of hot rice pudding. These photos really don’t do this pudding justice, but I was eager to scarf it down!
Good to the very last spoonful:
I think the smoothie has some competition.