Double Chocolate Chunk Banana Pancakes
Hello 🙂 I hope you’ve all had a wonderful start to your week! Mine’s been pretty busy, but I’m still managing to fit in cooking and a little exercise between a TON of work and errands. Enough of my whining though: let’s talk pancakes.
I have a love-hate relationship with these pancakes. I’m not joking. I love them because of their gooey chocolate and soft banana chunks that are hidden inside this wonderful chocolate-y fluffiness. Intense, I know 😉
I hate them, because they would not let me get a decent photo of them. It’s probably not fair for me to blame that on them – it could well be the fact that it was so early that it was still pitch-black out, or that my camera’s not exactly high end, or that I hadn’t had a good dose of coffee yet. So if it’s not these pancakes’ fault, then I have absolutely no reason to hate them, which makes it a love-love relationship.
Don’t get me wrong, however: I don’t love them enough not to eat them.
- 3T nondairy milk (I used regular soy, but a sweetened vanilla or chocolate one would work great!)
- 1/4 C whole wheat flour
- 1 t baking powder
- 1 t raw sugar (opt.)
- 1 T cocoa powder
- 1/2 a very small banana or 1/4 large banana, mashed (leave it a little chunky so you get your banana chunks!)
- 2 tbsp chocolate chunks (I just broke up two squares of Lindt 85% dark chocolate – it’s vegan)
- Sliced strawberries and maple syrup, to serve.
- Combine sugar and flour in a small bowl and sift in cocoa and baking powder, mixing to combine. Make a well in the center and add mashed banana and milk.
- Whisk mixture together, slowly incorporating the dry ingredients to the wet in the middle, trying to eliminate lumps.
- Fold in chocolate chunks.
- Cook on a lightly oiled pan as you would with a normal pancake, flipping over once the uncooked side starts to bubble.
- Serve topped with sliced strawberries and maple syrup. Serves one (makes three small pancakes).
I actually made these on Shrove (Fat! Pancake!) Tuesday and I thought they’d be perfect since it’s the day of the year to have pancakes and I’m saying bye to chocolate for lent. That’s right, no chocolate for six weeks – crazy!
Blurrrry. Time for coffee?