A while ago I was lucky enough to pay a visit to an old friend. She’s a vegetarian, too, and a great baker, and was so kind as to bake me a few treats to try! They were all delicious, but there was one that I simply couldn’t forget. That’s right – coconut crackles.
If you’re a coconut lover I guarantee you’ll love this. Double coconut crispy mouthfuls – I’ll leave it at that. I try to post generally healthy recipes here on Crunch and Chew, but it never hurts to have a treat
She mentioned using the ‘base’ of this recipe, without the dried fruit. Here you go!
- 2 cups rice krispies (could sub for brown rice cereal, I think, if you wanted to make
- 1/2 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 125g vegetable shortening, coconut based
- In a large bowl combine the rice krispies, sugar and coconut.
- In a small saucepan, heat the shortening until melted. Pour this over the rice dry mixture and mix well to fully combine.
- In a muffin tin or plate lined/covered with cupcake papers, scoop tablespoons of the mixture into the papers. Refrigerate to set. Makes approx. 16
I love the simplicity of the recipe, but feel free to add chocolate chips, nuts, dried fruit or other mix-ins to your heart’s desire!