Double Chocolate Chip Cookies
Happy Valentine’s Day!
That’s right, it’s V-day again – cue the flowers, cheesy cards and Hershey’s kisses. Aside from the traditional bought gifts, I think that nothing screams ‘I Love You!’ more than a homemade (and heart-shaped!) chocolaty treat… why not bake some of these for your darling?
2 T sunflower/canola/coconut oil
2T non dairy milk (I used soy)
1/2 cup raw sugar
1/2 T ground flax mixed with 2.5 T water, allowed to thicken
1/2 t vanilla
3/4 C all purpose or whole wheat flour
1/2 t baking soda
2.5 T cocoa powder
1/2 t red food coloring (optional, but if omitted the cookies will be paler than pictured)
1/4 cup vegan chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 375F/190C.
- Mix oil, milk, sugar, flax+water, vanilla and red food coloring until very well combined in a large bowl.
- Sift in cocoa and baking soda and add flour and salt. Mix until combined, the fold in chocolate chips.
- Shape cookies into discs and/or hearts (cookie cutter recommended!).
- Bake on a lined cookie sheet for 10-12 minutes or until cookies spring back when touched lightly.
- Cool on a wire rack.
I was expecting these to turn out like red velvet cookies, especially with the mix being this red at one point:
But things never quite go to plan, and they ended up a rich chocolaty color….
Whatever color, I’ll accept gifts of chocolate any day!